Friday, January 1, 2010

New Years Resolutions all Jarred Up

BudgetExerciseCleanEatWriteSaveCreateSmileReadFun....are all words that make up just a few of my many New Year 2010 Resolutions. So today I tackled my fridge! Literally. Containers, and Jars and expired food seems to spill out of my fridge as I attempted to organize and sanitize. After pulling out every piece of plastic and glass and wiping and washing, I felt only like I had climbed a very small version of Mt. Everest. Which brought me to wondering what does one really need to keep in their fridge? I found I had eggs, milk, butter, cheese, vegetables all in good condition but i also found...



Condiments! You name it, we have it. Thai this, soy that, ketchup, BBQ, hot sauce galore. But really....does one fridge and two consumers really need all of these toppings? And how long do they really last for? I was acutally surprised that some of my salad dressings were expired. I think they should come in smaller containers. And some do....but they cost almost the same. So....maybe I will stick with oil and balsalmic vinegar, tried and true.

So, as one of my resolutions to cook more meals at home, good hearty, healthy meals what really do I need to keep in my fridge? I looked online but that was not much help! So any tips for being able to prepare meals at my fingertips the search is on for the fridge essentials of 2010 would be greatly appreciated.

Also for Christmas we recieved our very first slow cooker! Since I now commute further to work I am extremely excited to be able to cook a meal before I leave for work, and being able to make a healthy breakfast of steal cut oats the night before. I will keep posted the recipes and their outcomes of my new kitchen appliance.

Maybe my New Year's resolutions should be to try and use all the condiments in my fridge before they expire next year!

Cheers~

3 comments:

  1. lemon juice
    worcestershire sauce
    soy sauce
    dijon mustard
    minced garlic
    ketchup

    all esssential

    Another great dressing for salad is sesame oil, rice vinegar and soy sauce( add some sesame seeds if you have them and some peanuts in the salad. Fantastic on coleslaw!....yummy

    The only salad dressing I buy is ranch because my kids love it...

    I used to have a list on expiration of condiments etc....but my general rule is...if in doubt throw it out :)

    Great post.
    C

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Carol! And all those things I do have in my fridge! I can't wait to try that delicious sounding salad dressing! All ingredients of which I also have at my fingertips!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh, the condiments are always an issue. I don't think that I've ever completely used up a bottle of anything before it expired.

    I would agree with Carol's list above. I would also add olive oil, lime juice, wine for cooking, and vinegar.

    Good luck cooking more meals at home this year!

    ReplyDelete